Do remember, there's enough darkness and sadness in the world -- we want your GOOD SPACES. We are "a journal of good spaces."
BLIND SUBMISSIONS ONLY - Remove all identifying information from your manuscript and file name. The Title blank on Submittable should only contain the title of the work, NOT your name. Your name goes in the Cover Letter space, along with a brief bio.
WIDE AUDIENCE content only. That is, watch the swearing, sexual content, adult innuendo, coarse jokes, unnecessary violence, etc. Of course, anything containing abusive, misogynistic, racist, or other offensive or non-family-friendly content will be declined.
Please only submit one submission in one genre until you hear back from us in that genre, though you can submit material to several genres at the same time. Simultaneous submissions are fine. No reading fee.
- Contemporary Mystery
- Contemporary Spy
- Contemporary Woods / Western / Mountain / Appalachian
- Dark Fiction -- but no straight-up horror, please. Examples might include works such as Fahrenheit 451, The Road, Dracula, 1984, Animal Farm, The Handmaid's Tale, and such
- Debut Author (two or fewer previous publishing credits, age 18 and over), any genre
- Fan Fiction (video games, movies, books)
- Literary Fiction
- Speculative Fiction
- Young Author (please submit in this category if you're 17 or younger), any genre
Up to 2000 words per story.
Pay is $5 per accepted story via Paypal only
. If you submit work and it is chosen, yet you don't have a Paypal account, you forfeit payment. Please be aware of this. We no longer send checks.
Query for longer works with a short 50 word summary, AND the first 500 words of the story. Include total word count in summary. Use "Query for Longer Works" category on Submittable.
Accepted authors must acknowledge publishing agreement. Some or all work may be included in a future anthology with no further remuneration to author.
Unpublished work only. No reprints.
You should hear back from us by the first week of the following month. Selected work will appear online first or second week of the month after submission.