Eastern Iowa Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
We've reached our submission limit for this April-only online-only "Hope in Renewal" issue. Thanks to all who sent material. Editor's Choice Award will be announced soon.
What we seek for this special themed issue - "Hope in Renewal"
- Some tie-in to the theme, though the connection may be understated or oblique. We welcome many interpretations of "hope," and realize not everything hopeful will be bright and shiny. If you're bringing us something darker, please make sure it ends with hope, with something that lifts our spirits. We need that at this time in history.
- Essays, poetry (prose or standard, though we much prefer prose poetry), or fiction up to 1,000 words (no line limit for poetry). Send up to three in one genre with a maximum word count of 3,000 words, all in the same document.
- Please only submit in one genre at a time until you hear back from us. That is, one to three pieces of flash nonfiction in one document OR one to three poems in one document OR one to three pieces of flash fiction in one document.
- No reading fee. No payment this time for accepted work except for the Editor's Choice Award which will be announced in May. Award will be $50. Submit as many times as you wish, but only after you've heard back from us. As always, work must be smart, preferably lyrical, and geared toward a wide audience. Editor's Choice Award winner must have a Paypal account to accept payment. If you submit work and it's chosen, yet you don't have a Paypal account, you forfeit payment. Please be aware of this. You will also have the option to donate the prize back to us. We don't expect it, yet of course we always appreciate these type of donations.
- Send material in its final form, as we cannot allow substantial changes once we receive your work.
- We will edit to catch small things you may have missed, then we'll send the edits for your approval.
- We also have a category for artwork. See details there.
Reading period: April 1, 2020 through April 30, 2020. Please give us three weeks or so to review and respond to your submission, though generally we hope to reply much sooner. Our speedy reply & basic feedback donation options will not be available during this time.
We read BLIND. No author name or address on the manuscript or file name. The Title space on Submittable should only contain the title of the work. Your name and bio goes in the blank marked Cover Letter. All submitted material should be in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, double-spaced.
What to avoid: anything not geared toward a wide-audience focus.
If it helps you decide what to send, please know that we enjoy short, pithy, language-driven work that makes sense. We love beauty and lyricism.
We reserve the right to edit an author's bio for whatever reason.